Helping the Oglethorpe community become more sustainable through education and best management practices.
The initiative strives to fulfill its mission by:
- Reducing OU’s burden on the environment
- Supporting the campus recycling program
- Positioning OU as a model citizen in the Atlanta community
- Providing a basis for seeking grants and donations in support of needed changes in curriculum, operations, and facilities;
- Reducing the cost of OU operations,
- Encouraging the creation and implementation of curricula that promote awareness of the environment and sustainability, and
- Responding to growing applicant and student interest in the environment and sustainability.
To achieve its goals, the Initiative will draw upon resources including:
- The Board of Trustees, to provide guidance for longterm investments and administration;
- The managers of the physical plant, to identify and implement short run opportunities and long run investment needs;
- The faculty, to develop new courses and pedagogies in existing and new courses using an interdisciplinary approach;
- The Center for Civic Engagement, to help network with regional organizations, offer logistical support for recycling, and provide a meeting place;
- The students, to identify, assess and help to implement sustainability-oriented practices through course work, on campus activities, and civic engagement; and
- Atlanta businesses, non-profits and other universities to provide resources and opportunities for students to gain practical knowledge and experience in sustainable practices.