Helping the Oglethorpe community become more sustainable through education and best management practices.
The initiative strives to fulfill its mission by:
- reducing OU’s burden on the environment
- supporting the campus recycling program
- positioning OU as a model citizen in the Atlanta community
- providing a basis for seeking grants and donations in support of needed changes in curriculum, operations, and facilities;
- reducing the cost of OU operations,
- encouraging the creation and implementation of curricula that promote awareness of the environment and sustainability, and
- responding to growing applicant and student interest in the environment and sustainability.
To achieve its goals, the Initiative will draw upon resources including:
- the Board of Trustees, to provide guidance for longterm investments and administration;
- the managers of the physical plant, to identify and implement short run opportunities and long run investment needs;
- the faculty, to develop new courses and pedagogies in existing and new courses using an interdisciplinary approach;
- the Center for Civic Engagement, to help network with regional organizations, offer logistical support for recycling, and provide a meeting place;
- the students, to identify, assess and help to implement sustainability-oriented practices through course work, on campus activities, and civic engagement; and
- Atlanta businesses, non-profits and other universities to provide resources and opportunities for students to gain practical knowledge and experience in sustainable practices.